| || |
|Uploading the ROM image|| page 6 of 7|
To use the emulator, you need a copy of the ROM (a "ROM image") for the target PDA. The ROM provides the exact operating system that is to be emulated by the POSE emulator. ROM images are available from some manufacturers, but you should be able to download a ROM image from your own PDA.
To view a ROM image of your hand-held computer on your desktop or workstation, you can use POSE to download the ROM image from your PDA.
Note: Handspring users must use a regular serial cable and COM port instead of a USB cable.
- Start the Palm Desktop Software that came with your Palm device and click on the Install icon.
- Browse to the POSE directory and select the ROM Transfer.prc file.
- Place the Palm device in its cradle.
- Press the HotSync button on the cradle to install the file. The ROM Transfer icon should display on your Palm device when the process is complete.
- To transfer the ROM image, you must exit the HotSync manager, making certain it is not running on your PC. Leave your Palm device in the cradle.
- Tap the ROM transfer icon on your Palm device.
- On your PC, change to the POSE directory and run the emulator.exe program. The Emulator window displays.
- On your PC, select the Download button from the menu. On your Palm device, tap the Begin Transfer button. The ROM image could take a few minutes to transfer.
- When the transfer is complete, you are prompted to select a directory in which to save the file. Save it as palm.rom in the POSE directory.
- From the Palm OS Emulator window, select New. The New Session Emulator window displays.
- Select the appropriate settings from the New Session Emulator window, and use the Browse button to select the ROM file, palm.rom, just transferred.
- Finally, click the OK button.
If the transfer was successful, you should see an image of your Palm device loaded on your PC or workstation monitor.